Couple of book-keepy things:
- If you are on the Facebook, and you like Team Valkyrie, perhaps you could like it on Facebook?
- If you are on tumblr, you should know, we are on tumblr too.
- If you tweet, and want to tweet at us, we’re on twitter.
- Note that we actually do respond to tweets and questions and stuff on the Facebook, and comments make us happy and make us post more.
- Also, since we’re about to start a new month, that means we’re about to start a new series of cute animal pictures. April is for Sloths. So say we all.
Okay, now onto linkspam.
STEM – Science Technology Engineering Math
What’s the Big Deal? — “Over the course of this internet argument, I had several well-meaning and curious guys reach out to me to try and understand what all the fuss was about. They seemed like good people, but they were missing something about what it means to be sexist. … So I’m going to take a shot at explaining.”
On Women in Tech — My favorite quote from this is the header “Frats Preserve Tradition, Startups Disrupt it”
Rachel Graham, The Jane Goodall of Sharks — Awesome!
Women in physics: A Tale of Limits — Really long, lots of data, kind of depressing, but good knowledge, because knowledge and understanding can lead to action.
Some Things to Think About Before You Exhort Everyone to Code — Why telling minorities “just learn to code!” doesn’t really work.
Show, don’t tell: why they need to be there — On the importance of diversity of main characters in fiction, and what it means to readers
Should science fiction and fantasy do more than entertain? — Opens with the image caption of “Poor representations … The 2012 film John Carter continues to rely on racial sterotypes to establish the ‘otherness’ of its alien characters.” and goes from there. Comments are mixed.
Geeks Respond to Their Friend Coming Out — Kind of awesome, read the whole thing.
I’m introducing a new linkspam category because I think we need it. Reality is ugly, folks.
NOM Strategy: Divide ‘Blacks’ and ‘Latinos’ Against ‘Gays’ to Get Critical Votes — So, this happened. Excuse me while I deal with this surprise.
Women’s Media Center’s Media Guide for Gender Neutral Coverage of Women Candidates and Politicians — Because we really need this, as pathetic as that is.